Many people are on a pretty small budget right after the purchase of a new house. Even though this may just be the home of your dreams you still have to keep costs low. What repairs could you put off for a little bit and what needs to be repaired at the moment? When it comes to repairing or upgrading the plumbing should you work with a professional plumbing technician or try it all by yourself? Let’s look at when to do it yourself and when to call a plumber.
Here’s a few things to think about:
Benefits of DIY Projects
It is a good idea if:
1. It is a good option if you have some understanding of plumbing. If you are handy and can fix things around the home on your own, then you should try. However, and this is important be very honest about your ability. You really don’t want to end up having to pay more to fix the mistake you made when compared with what you would’ve for the first repair.
2. Your plumbing issue is quick and easy to repair. Plumbing, when errors are made can make the issue much worse instead of better. Big repairs will need a plumber, but minor things like replacing a faucet is ok. Here is how to fix a leaky faucet.
3. Make sure you have a backup plan. You could find yourself with a flood in the basement or bathroom when the issue is more serious than you first thought. In the middle of a flood is not when you want to try and learn how to fix the plumbing. Just in case, have the name of a plumbing company close by.
Disadvantages of doing it yourself:
1. If you are unsure if this will be fixed easily or the repairs needed are considerable. Major repairs need to have a pro and not a band aid solution. Something else about plumbing issues in particular stuff like leaks the faster you get them repaired the less costly it is. Structural damage and decaying wood happens if water leaks are not fixed.
2. You bought a house that requires a lot of repairs. Older houses that have not been properly taken care of often need a lot of work, which includes updating the complete plumbing system. This is too big a job to do on your own, it needs a plumber.
3. The cost the plumber is asking is fairly low. Get the pros do the work for you.